Some new retirees sail away on grand adventures.
Others cozy up with a list of books long waiting to be read. And some celebrate by dancing the night away.
Retirement is a huge milestone that looks different to everyone.
But every person who’s about to retire needs to be honored and acknowledged.
Whether you’re writing to a coworker or a friend, finding the right message to applaud their professional accomplishments can be quite difficult.
To make things easier, we’ve curated some different ideas for retirement card messages that you can choose from.
39 Things to Write in a Retirement Card to a Co-worker
Funny Things to Write in a Retirement Card to a co-worker
It’s important to hit the right note for such a special occasion, or in this case, the right punchline.
If you are looking for a funny retirement card example, we have put together a few humorous and lighthearted words for retirement cards that will put a smile on the recipient’s face.
1. Congratulations on your retirement! Your weekend just got five days longer.
2. When you’re retired, every Monday is a Saturday and every hour is 5 o’clock. It’s time for a cocktail. Congratulations, you’re living the dream!
3. Not every milestone comes with a ten percent discount. Enjoy your retirement.
4. When work is no longer fun and having fun becomes work, you know it’s time to retire. Wishing you years of fun every day.
5. Your new commute is so much easier! Just a yawn and a cup of coffee between your bed and your couch.
6. The pay might stink, but the hours are great! Happy retirement!
7. There is only one bad thing about retirement — you can’t take the day off.
8. It’s finally time to stop living for work and get to work on living!
9. Look at it this way, without work, you have all the time in the world for all the nothing you want to do. Enjoy it!
10. It’s finally time to stop lying about all the work you’ve done and start working on lying around all day. You deserve it!
Appreciation to Write in a Retirement Card for a Coworker
Some coworker relationships are closer than others, but it’s always fitting to acknowledge the huge milestone of retirement.
Whether the retiree is your desk buddy or works down the hall, here are a few retirement card ideas for your coworker.
11. Congratulations on your well-deserved retirement. Thank you for all your hard work. Wishing you the best in your next chapter.
12. It’s not too late to change your mind! The office won’t be the same without you. Congratulations, friend — you will be missed.
13. I hope your retirement is fun and fulfilling. If anyone deserves it, it’s you. Congratulations on this exciting new adventure.
14. Cherish every moment of retired life because you worked hard for it. I can’t think of a more deserving person.
15. Your next job is to make the most of life. Cheers to a long and happy retirement.
16. We hope you will spend some of your new-found freedom with us because we miss you already. Best wishes for this next phase of life.
17. Thank you for your years of hard work, dedication, and friendship. You are a one-of-a-kind coworker. I wish you a happy and long retirement.
18. It has been a joy to work with you. You have always gone above and beyond in your work, and we will miss you dearly. Wishing you an exciting and stress-free retirement.
19. You can always call if you get bored without us. Congratulations on all your new free time!
20. We are so happy for you as you take this next big step in your life. You have been an invaluable part of our team, and we can’t imagine it here without you. We wish you the best as you start your new life.
21. There are so many things you’ve always wanted to do and places you’ve wanted to see. Here’s to having plenty of time to tackle your bucket list and to more time with people you love. Cheers to you!
22. Now you’ll have to find something else to complain about! Don’t worry, you have plenty of time to brainstorm. In the meantime, enjoy life. You deserve it.
23. It is not every day you get to retire, but starting now, it is every day you get to be retired. Cherish every moment. Congratulations!
More Related Articles
24. Congratulations on your retirement. We are so proud of how hard you have worked and can’t wait to spend more time with you as you start this next journey.
25. I’m so happy to be a part of celebrating you and all you have achieved in your career. You are truly remarkable! Happy retirement!
26. You were always great at your job, but you have been even better as a friend to us all. Here’s to less time at work and more time kicking back with friends and family. Let’s celebrate your retirement every day.
27. You have climbed a big mountain and have reached the pinnacle of your career. Now you can take in the view and bask in your accomplishments. Bravo to you.
28. Goodbye, 9 to 5! It’s time to feel alive and adventurous. You are as young as ever and with no one to answer to but yourself. Enjoy your retirement and all the perks that come with it.
29. Now you get to live it up! Trade in those sensible work heels for some dancing shoes… or slippers… Congratulations!
30. Don’t regret what you haven’t done but look forward to what you have yet to enjoy. You aren’t at the end of the road — you are merging onto an open highway.
31. As you close this chapter of your career, know that your efforts and dedication to our team will be sorely missed. Congratulations on reaching this milestone, and we wish you all the best in your future endeavors.
32. Your time and effort over the years have been instrumental in shaping the company into what it is today. Thank you for all that you’ve done, and best wishes for a fulfilling retirement.
33. Your positive attitude and unwavering commitment to excellence have been an inspiration to us all. It has been an honor to work with you, and we wish you a happy and healthy retirement.
34. Your work contributions have been invaluable, and we are grateful for all that you have done. Congratulations on a well-deserved retirement, and we hope it brings you joy and happiness.
35. You have been a true leader and mentor to us all, and your guidance will be missed. We wish you all the best as you embark on this new chapter of your life and hope that your retirement is filled with adventure and relaxation.
36. The dedication and passion you brought to your work every day were truly remarkable. Thank you for all that you’ve done, and we wish you a wonderful retirement filled with all the things that bring you happiness.
37. Your unwavering commitment to our team and our customers has been nothing short of amazing. We will miss you dearly, but we know that your retirement is well-deserved and we wish you all the best.
38. You have been an integral part of our team, and we will miss your guidance and leadership. We wish you a happy and fulfilling retirement and look forward to hearing about all your new adventures.
39. As you embark on this new journey, know that your contributions to this company will always be remembered. Congratulations on your retirement, and wish nothing but the best for you and your family.
How to Sign a Retirement Card
Now that you have found the perfect message to wish your retiree well, you may still be having trouble finding the right way to sign your card.
Some sign-offs are more fitting for a friend, while others work better for a boss or coworker.
A simple “Congratulations” before signing your name is effective, but here are a few other ideas.
- Wishing you the best
- To your next chapter
- Cheers to you!
- I send my best to you and your loved ones
- With love and admiration
Did you find the best words for your retirement card?
Retirement is an exciting time full of new adventures on the horizon. Every retiree has had different career experiences, and each looks forward to a unique new journey as they begin life after work.
It’s important to craft a message that fits the occasion. Now that you have these messages to congratulate your retiree, you can put them into your own words or combine them for a longer, more heartfelt note.
After all, a personalized note can mean the world to a new retiree and show them how much you care and appreciate their years of hard work.