Your friend or colleague is wrapping up a career and retiring.
This event represents a huge transition in someone’s life. Celebration is in order, but you wonder, “How do you congratulate a friend on retirement without sounding cheesy?”
If the person is a co-worker, you might have mixed emotions yourself.
You may feel a bit envious, but you’ll miss seeing your friend’s face at work.
For the most part, though, you’re excited for your friend and want to say something meaningful.
What Can I Say Instead of Happy Retirement?
Retirement messages for a friend offer a chance to celebrate a lifetime of hard work or thank a friend for setting an inspiring example.
To find exactly the right thing to say, try to identify your feelings. Some common sentiments that you might have include:
- Recognition of hard work and that the retiree deserves time to relax
- Acknowledgment of the impact the person made in many people’s lives
- Encouragement to pursue new hobbies and life goals
- Invitation to spend more time together now that work is not a concern
A good tactic for personalizing a message is to cite something specific. You might recall how much you admire your friend for overcoming adversity to succeed at a job. You could mention something specific you’d like to do with your friend in the future, such as joining you at a holiday event or vacation.
What to Write in a Retirement Card for a Friend: 85 Thoughtful Messages
Retirement card messages can be a bit challenging. You want to keep it short but still say something that will delight your friend.
This list of retirement wishes for a friend provides plenty of inspiration as you search for just the right words.
1. You’ll be amazed at how busy you can be without a job. You’ll wonder how you ever found time to work. Enjoy every minute of it!
2. Kiss workplace stress goodbye. The time for you to truly relax is here.
3. They will miss you at work, but you can still be fabulous full time for your friends and family.
4. The rewards of being a responsible member of society are yours at last.
5. Don’t watch too much daytime TV. Spend your retirement soaking up the sunshine.
6. I’m genuinely excited for you upon your retirement because you earned every minute of the joys to come.
7. The fruits of your labor are yours to savor for the rest of your life.
8. I’m so thrilled for you now that you get to trade the rat race for a slower pace.
9. Congratulations on your retirement. I know how hard you worked to get to this point.
10. Retirement is a time to reflect on past successes and do the things that work always kept from doing.
11. The passions that you’ve left on the back burner get to be front and center now.
12. You made many sacrifices to reach this milestone, but now life is all about you and what you want.
13. I wish you the best as you leave behind the world of work and get to be the true you all of the time.
14. I’m sure that retirement has many happy times in store for you.
15. Retirement represents a new phase in your life where you’re certain to succeed just as much as you did at work.
16. You work for YOU now and no one else. I’m sure you’ll be a great boss.
17. So happy to hear about your retirement. Feel free to call me when you need to know what day of the week it is.
18. You must be so happy to retire. Next time I visit, I expect your lawn to look perfect.
19. May all of your dreams for a peaceful retirement come true.
20. In retirement, you can pretend you’re a teenager. Sleep all you want and party all the time.
21. I don’t know anyone who deserves the rewards of retirement more than you.
22. You prove that hard work does pay off. Enjoy every day of your retirement.
23. To my fantastic, newly retired friend, I’m confident that you’re entering the best chapter of your life.
24. Retirement is like a graduation, except that you have completed being an adult and get to revert to being a kid again.
25. I sincerely wish for you to have a retirement full of health and many joys.
26. Since your retirement is official, you are officially no longer allowed to complain about work anymore!
27. Congratulations on your retirement. May your schedule be packed with new adventures and happy trails.
28. For most of your life, retirement felt like a distant dream. Well, you’re living the dream now, and I hope you seize every moment of it.
29. When you get stressed out during retirement, just remember – “I don’t have to go to work tomorrow or any day after.”
30. Wishing you well on your retirement. You’ll finally get to experience how unemployed people live.
31. Your friendship and mentorship have made my life better. I sincerely hope that retirement brings all of the rewards that you deserve.
32. May you discover every delightful thing that retirement has to offer.
33. After counting down the days until retirement, you can throw away your clocks and live in the moment.
34. Whenever you get bored during retirement, think about the worst day you ever had at work. You’ll feel better instantly.
35. Well done on a fantastic career. You’ve proved that you can endure anything. Now you can begin a fulfilling second act!
36. My wish for you is a blissful year of retirement for every year you were on the job – and then some!
37. At long last, you can stay busy enjoying yourself. I hope you’ll include me in your adventures.
38. Retirement is the time for following your dreams. Today is the first day to start making all of them come true.
39. Welcome to retirement. I’ve been waiting for you to join me in the tough life of doing whatever you want.
40. Congratulations on finishing the rat race! Now you can step off the track and casually stroll through the best years ahead.
41. You were brilliant to work with, and we all will sorely miss you. I’m confident that you will quickly master your new retirement life as enthusiastically as you approached your career.
42. Congratulations! Your infinite vacation is approved. No strings attached! No receipts required.
43. Get ready for the most prolonged, best weekend of your entire life.
44. I wish you well on the exciting retirement journey ahead of you. You’ve made such a difference in the lives of so many.
45. No more slogging away at a desk for you. Retirement means you get to spend the rest of your life breathing fresh air and savoring every moment.
46. The sweet fruits of your labor have finally ripened. May every day of your retirement be like biting into a fresh peach.
47. You have my utmost respect for working as hard as you did to reach retirement with so many accomplishments under your belt. Congratulations on your many years of success.
48. Making it to retirement is a huge milestone in life, but I suspect you’ve got more achievements ahead of you. You are never one to let the grass grow under your feet!
49. Congratulations on your retirement. Don’t blow your life savings at the casino.
50. Retirement is the stage in life when you stop being excited for the weekend and start living the weekend every day.
51. As your work-life draws to a close, the possibilities of your glorious golden years open up before you.
52. Being retired will give you the time to contemplate the meaning of life – or not if that sounds like too much work.
53. You may not realize this yet, but you may never need to wake up to an alarm again. Enjoy sleeping in, or at least getting up at a leisurely pace!
54. Retirement is the most incredible opportunity of all because you now have the time to pursue your passions.
55. Retirement puts the frustrations of working for a living behind you. It’s time to get busy relaxing and doing all of the things you’ve wanted to do for a long time.
56. Working at your side has been an honor. I am so proud of the stellar person you are and the tremendous positive influence you’ve had on me. Wishing you a retirement as fulfilling as your work has been.
57. Since the first day we met at work, I knew you would excel at retirement. You were so good at one that I’m sure you’ll handle act two with panache!
58. I suppose you have travel plans for retirement. But please don’t tell us about them because you’ll make us all jealous!
59. Retirement is the job you can’t get fired from. Slack off all you want!
60. I’m surprised to hear that you retired. I thought you quit working years ago.
61. It’s your retirement. Treat yourself to something nice – like a day off for the rest of your life.
62. Don’t forget about us poor souls stuck in the office while you travel the world. Enjoy your retirement.
63. I wish you the happiest retirement possible, filled with new adventures, lots of fun, and no more long commutes!
64. Congratulations on retiring! I hope that this next stage of life brings you meaning and a new sense of purpose.
65. Retirement. The pay might not be great, but the hours are fantastic.
66. All your life, people told you to get a good job and work hard. Now, people are excited that you’re doing nothing. Just go with it.
67. Retirement is the transition from working for a living to living for your pure enjoyment.
68. I’m going to be lost at work without you, but you already know that. Enjoy all of the happiness that retirement can bring.
69. Congratulations on your achievement. Getting paid to stay home is the ultimate life goal.
70. Enjoy your retirement. You are now officially free to do anything you damn well please!
71. No more customers. No more meetings. No more job evaluations. It’s all break time from here on out but with better coffee!
72. Cheers on reaching your retirement date. I’m honestly so happy for you and wish you many years of health, happiness, and adventure.
73. The freedom of retirement will be a shock at first, but you’re totally going to get used to it.
74. Now that you’re retired, think of me stuck in traffic while you sleep in every day.
75. Rumor has it you set a record for the oldest employee. Now you can work on setting the record for the most active retiree.
76. If you’re looking for a new partner in crime now that you’re retired, I’m available.
77. At long last, you can take the trip, take the nap, and take the time to do what you want.
78. Best wishes on doing everything on your bucket list.
79. Everything gets easier when you’re retired – except getting out of the recliner.
80. What do retirees say? “Thank God it’s today.” Every day is Friday from here on out.
81. Welcome to retirement. I’ve been waiting for you. Let the adventure begin.
82. Time on your hands is a precious gift. Make the most of retirement.
83. You were a hero at work. I’m sure you’ll be a legend in retirement.
84. The stress of the past is behind you. Embrace the happiness that retirement will bring.
85. You’re about to blossom into the most excellent version of yourself yet. We can’t wait to hear about the new you.
Retirement is a big event in people’s lives akin to getting married or having a child. Give the moment the recognition it deserves by selecting a meaningful message to wish your friend well.