There are times when opening a jar can be hard, even for the strongest person.
But for senior adults, it can be even more challenging as they are not as strong as they used to be.
Applying too much pressure might cause them harm or lead to an accident.
That is why finding a little help from jar openers gets the job done quicker and makes their life easier, and prevents accidents.
Why Do Many Seniors Have Trouble Opening Jars?
As people age, their strength is not what it used to be.
That means experiencing a few challenges occasionally, like opening jars.
Since many types of food come in jars, seniors have no option but to find a way to open them. It can be difficult for many seniors for the following reasons:
- Muscle weakness: As they age, they lose muscle mass and strength, which is a natural part of aging.
- Arthritis: This condition is more common among older adults and is characterized by joint pain, making it hard to open tight jars.
- Parkinson’s Disease: This is another common condition among senior adults that leads to joint disorders, making it challenging to open tight jars.
- Loss of grip strength: This loss often indicates that the muscles are shrinking, which isn’t uncommon among seniors.
What to Look for in Jar Openers for Seniors
With a jar opener for the elderly, it becomes easier to open even the most stubborn lids without using too much strength.
But whether you are getting a jar for your loved one or yourself, there are certain things you have to consider to ensure you are getting the right product. Take a look at some of the things to look for in a jar opener:
- Quality construction material
- Handle quality
- Manual or automatic
- Compact design
- Grip efficiency and strength
9 of the Best Jar Openers for Seniors
Below we have highlighted some of the best jar openers for seniors. These excellent choices can make life a little bit easier.
1. Meyuewal 5 in 1 Multi-Functional Jar Opener
Being a multi-functional tool, the Meyuewal Jar Opener solves several problems simultaneously, making life convenient for seniors with limited wrist and hand movement.
Each kit comprises two devices: a versatile 5-way opener and a 4-sized manual jar opener. You can use the Mayuewal gripper jar opener to open jar lids, pickle bottles, soda cans, and bean cans.
Most importantly, both devices come with an ergonomic and non-slip design, giving the user a firm grip to easily tear, turn, pull, or twist lids.
- Versatile as you can use it in different jars and bottles
- Easy to use
- Strong and durable
- Two devices in one pack
- Seniors with weak hands may struggle to use such manual devices
2. OXO Good Grips Jar Opener
The OXO Jar Opener is a reliable kitchen tool that every senior should have in their kitchen. It has a contoured non-slip rubber handle and a slip-resistant base pad, ensuring you can open the jars with minimum force.
And with the sharp steel teeth, you can easily grip the lid and loosen it without fuss. Another plus of this jar opener is its compatibility with different jar sizes. This tool is light and dishwasher-friendly, making it easy to maintain.
- Can open jars of all shapes and sizes
- The stainless-steel teeth give it an excellent grip
- Easy to handle
- Dishwasher friendly
- Not suitable for plastic lids
3. Instacan Electric Jar Opener
The Instacan Electric Jar Opener is an automatic device that requires almost zero energy to use. With a press of a button, the device opens even the most stubborn jars.
What we love about the Instacan electric jar opener is that it requires no labor to get the job done, making it ideal for seniors with arthritis, fibromyalgia, or those who have just undergone hand surgery.
Note that this jar opener uses 2AA batteries which do not come with the product.
- Works on a variety of lids
- Automatic, hence easy to use
- Strong and durable
- Shuts off automatically
- Doesn’t work on plastic lids
4. EZ Off Jar Opener
The EZ Off Jar Opener opens lids of any size. From wide containers of peanuts, pickles, jams, and marshmallow crème to the smallest lids, such as water and medicine bottles.
The tool comes with a peel-and-stick adhesive and three screws, making installation easy. You can place it under the cupboard or cabinet for easy use.
This jar opener grabs the lid firmly, allowing you to twist the jar easily. It is ideal for seniors with weak hands, arthritis, or carpal tunnel.
- Opens all lid sizes
- Hides out of sight, under a cabinet or drawer
- Easy to use
- Easy to install
- Has to be installed under a cabinet
5. Human Intentions Jar Opener
The Human Intentions Jar Opener resembles a pad that you can use to grip the lid of any jar and twist. The textured feel allows it to grab the jar firmly, making it easy to twist the lids.
It has been made with a high-quality non-toxic silicone grip that will not rip easily, allowing you to open even the most stubborn of jars.
And unlike most rubber products that will start producing an odor after some time, this jar opener is odor-free.
- Open a variety of lids
- Textured material allows for a strong grip
- Does not require additional counter space
- Requires some amount of strength to open lids
6. KUHN RIKON Strain-Free Gripper
The KUHN RIKON is a simple yet effective kitchen tool. With a simple and functional design, the device can open different lids with a diameter of between 1 to 3.5 inches.
The handle provides a comfortable hold, giving the user confidence when handing over tightly sealed jars. It is also made of high-quality plastic that makes it easy to wash.
And with a hole at the bottom, storage is easy as you can hang the tool and retrieve it easily.
- Accommodates lids of different sizes
- Easy to clean
- Easy to store
- Work even on soft lids
- The lock and lose mechanism might confuse some people.
7. Kichwit Jar Opener Stainless
This rust-resistant jar opener is made of stainless steel and a sturdy plastic handle and can open lids measuring between 1 to 3.7 inches.
The clamp has stainless steel teeth that clamp on the lid and hold on to it. Once you grip the lid, hold on to the jar with the other hand and twist the Kichwit’s handle.
It is ideal for seniors with arthritis because you do not have to struggle too much to open the lid.
- Minimal hand strain
- Open a variety of lid sizes
- Easy to operate
- Lightweight design
- Some amount of energy is still required
8. Dreaimiy Multi Opener Set
Specially made for weak hands, the Dreamiy Multi Opener Set comes with a 5-in-1 bottle opener, a 4-in-1 jar opener, and two non-slip rubber grips in different sizes and textures.
The jar and bottle opener have an ergonomically designed handle, allowing seniors or individuals with low strength to open stubborn lids while preventing the object from sliding.
Non-slip pads are versatile as they can also be used as kitchen coasters, placemats, trivet mats, pot holders, and heat insulation mats.
- Opens lids of different sizes
- Dishwasher safe
- Compact design that fits in any drawer
- Non-slip handles allow for easy grip
- Does not work for large jars
9. Otstar 6-in-1 Jar and Bottle Opener
The Otstar Jar and Bottle opener has eight openings, four on each side, allowing you to open lids measuring 1 to 3 inches.
It has a long handle made of anti-slip material, providing a firm grip on the lids. Also, the indentations on the surface provide a non-slip grip on the lids, allowing you to open even the most stubborn jars.
With its compact and slim design, you can store it easily, whether by hooking it on the wall or inside a drawer.
- Opens a variety of lids
- Easy to use
- Ergonomic design that prevents slipping
- Does not work for large jars
More Related Articles
Review Of The 10 Best Recumbent Bikes For Seniors 2022
13 Of The Best Toenail Clippers For Seniors
Yes, You Can Still Jump Like A 20-Something: 11 Best Rebounding Exercises For Seniors
When buying the best jar opener, consider how it works and what your needs are. With so many different types, find the one that will make your daily life easier and match your budget.