As we age, we face an increasing number of physical obstacles.
Thankfully, many tools are available to help seniors live more safely and independently without risking injury while performing daily tasks.
One of these is a simple grabber tool, which is basic enough that almost anyone can use it.
Despite this, it has countless uses.
If you are looking for grabbers for seniors, you should know a few things before you start.
- What Is the Purpose of a Grabber Tool?
- What to Look for in the Best Grabber for Seniors
- 9 of the Best Grabbers for Seniors
- 1. Vive Suction Cup Reacher Grabber
- 2. RMS Featherweight The Original Reacher
- 3. Luxet Grabber Reacher Tool
- 4. Unger Professional Nifty Nabber
- 5. Helping Hand Classic Folder Grabber
- 6. RMS 34-Inch Extra Long Reacher Grabber
- 7. RMS Featherweight Reacher Grabber
- 8. ArcMate EZ Reacher Deluxe
- 9. RMS Rotating Gripper Grabber
- Choosing The Best Grabber For Your Needs
What Is the Purpose of a Grabber Tool?
Grabber tools help seniors grab items that normally require bending or reaching high.
These motions become more difficult as people age and can even become dangerous because of the risk of falling, straining a muscle, or overextending oneself.
Grabber tools help extend people’s natural reach. They are built as a long stick with a handle or a button that activates the grabber claw, which might be textured or covered in rubber to help it grip.
This makes it easy to grasp objects both high and low, reducing the need for seniors to climb on stools or bend down, potentially injuring themselves.
Other benefits of grabber tools include the following:
- Grasping small items such as pills or coins
- Reducing the need for moving around as much, which can be a challenge for those with limited mobility
- Helping seniors stay safe and maintain independence
What to Look for in the Best Grabber for Seniors
What should you look for when shopping for a grabber tool for seniors? There are quite a few features to keep in mind but focus on the user’s physical limitations and personal goals as you make your selection.
- Weight and ease of operation
- Handle comfort and operation (button vs. lever)
- Claw size and grip strength
- Claw coating (magnetic strips, rubber)
- Extendable or foldable
- Extra features
9 of the Best Grabbers for Seniors
If you’re looking for the best pick-up tools for the elderly, look no further. These top suggestions have everything you need to choose the best product for your needs.
The Vive Suction Cup Reacher Grabber is 32 inches long, offering a safe and easy way to extend your reach. Its grabber arms include suction cups, making it possible to do delicate work such as changing lightbulbs.
You can even retrieve dropped pills with this high-precision grabber. With a lightweight build and ergonomic handle, the Vive Suction Cup grabber helps seniors remain independent in countless ways.
- Lightweight and comfortable
- Suction cup grippers for extra security
- Long reach
- No lock, making it a bad choice for those with weak or painful hands
The Original RMS Featherweight Reacher has a 26-inch extension to make it easy to reach whatever you need.
It features an extra-wide claw expansion and a magnetic tip so that you can more easily grab small metal items such as coins or screws.
The claws also feature textured rubber grips so that users can hold smooth or delicate items securely. This handy reacher is light and ergonomic and comes with a clip so you can attach it to a walker, purse, or bag.
- Clip for easy transportation
- Rubber and magnetic grabber parts
- Extra-wide claw
- Not as long as some comparable grabbers
The Luxet Grabber Reacher Tool features 32 inches of lightweight stainless steel, presented in an extendable form to reach items both close and far.
Featuring textured tips and magnets, this grabber makes it possible to pick up even small items like coins, screws, pills, or broken glass. The Luxet grabber also features a simple push-button style so that you don’t need significant hand strength to get what you need.
- Extendable up to 32 inches
- Lightweight and easy to hold
- Textured tips make it simple to pick up small, delicate items
- Some reviewers found it difficult to extend or retract
The Unger Professional Nifty Nabber is one of the longest grabber tools on the market, reaching an impressive 36 inches.
The claw is designed with a heavy-duty finish so that you can be sure that you won’t drop or spill objects. It also features a rubber exterior and a magnetic strip so that you can hold onto small objects and find coins or jewelry easily.
The Unger Professional Nifty Nabber also features a special ergonomic handle to be extra gentle on the hands.
- Heavy-duty claw
- Superlong extension
- Ergonomic handle
- May be slightly heavier than some models
The Helping Hand Classic Folder is one of the highest-rated grabber tools you can find. This heavy-duty grabber offers a 35-inch reach and a comfortable lever that is easy to operate and gentle on your hands.
This makes it a great option for those with weakness in their hands because of injuries or arthritis. It is outfitted with a heavy-duty claw that can grab and lift objects of all kinds.
- Ergonomic lever that is gentle on the hands
- 35-inch reach
- Heavy-duty claw
- No options for extending or folding
The RMS 34-Inch Extra Long Reacher Grabber has a unique feature that you won’t necessarily find in every grabber tool for seniors: a rotating claw. This makes it possible to grip objects at unusual angles or in small spaces, adding another level of independence for seniors.
With a 34-inch extension, the RMS also collapses for easy portability. If you are looking for an extraordinarily versatile grabber tool, the RMS may be a perfect choice.
- Rotating claw for extra versatility
- Collapsible and portable
- Long reach
- May not be able to lift as much as some comparable models
The RMS Featherweight Reacher Grabber lives up to its name — made from lightweight aluminum, it is perfect for those with hand weakness that makes other tools a challenge.
It offers a 26-inch reach and is outfitted with an ergonomic handle, making it comfortable to hold and operate. The ultra-wide claw has a textured rubber coating to make it easy to grasp objects of all kinds.
- Lightweight and easy to operate
- Includes latch so that you can attach it to a purse, bag, or walker
- Wide claw and rubber coating for a stronger grip
- Not as long as some comparable models
ArcMate’s series of grabber tools come in two models. These include 24-inch and 42-inch varieties for ultimate versatility. Both models are lightweight but have a five-pound lifting capacity, making it easy to operate and lift most common household objects.
The extra-wide claw includes rubber coating to make it easy to lift items of all kinds, from small to large. The ArcMate series also features a collapsible feature, making it perfect for transporting.
- Collapsible for easy transportation
- Rubber coating, extra wide claw, and five-pound lift capacity
- Lock feature
- Not intended for outside use
The RMS Rotating Gripper Grabber series features two models, a 32-inch and 19-inch version. Both of these feature a rotating head to help users grasp items at tight angles or in small spaces.
The 19-inch model is intended to be a travel version, making it easy to carry in your bag or purse. With a lightweight build, the RMS rotating grabber can handle all your lifting needs around the house, with a rubber-coating wide jaw and a comfortable handle.
- Rotating jaw for more versatility
- Comfortable handle
- Lightweight and easy to operate
- No foldable or collapsible feature
More Related Articles
Choosing The Best Grabber For Your Needs
Choosing the best grabber tool for you comes down to your unique needs and goals. By weighing the features carefully, you can make the purchase that will help you stay safe and maintain independence long into your Golden Years.