Are you a senior looking to get in shape?
After all, there’s no time like now — and it’s never too late to start exercising.
But what is the best type of movement for people aged 60 and over?
Near the top of the list for most people is an elliptical workout.
The low-intensity, high-return exercise is easy on the body but provides the ideal movements for supporting a healthy lifestyle.
With that in mind, today, we’re looking at the best elliptical machines for seniors in 2023.
- Is an Elliptical a Good Exercise for Seniors?
- What to Look for in an Elliptical for Seniors
- 6 Best Ellipticals for Seniors
- 1. Cubii JR2+, Under Desk Elliptical, Pedal Exerciser
- 2. LifePro Under Desk Elliptical Bike Pedal Exerciser
- 3. YOSUDA Compact Elliptical Machine – Cross Trainer with Hyper-Quiet Magnetic Drive System
- 4. Stamina InMotion Compact Strider with Cords
- 5. Teeter FreeStep Recumbent Cross Trainer and Elliptical
- 6. Niceday Elliptical Machine
- Final Thought
Is an Elliptical a Good Exercise for Seniors?
Ellipticals rank among the better exercise options for seniors. Let’s review a few reasons why.
- It’s an effective, low-impact workout that affords all the cardio benefits with much less stress on bones and knees.
- Seniors are less likely to incur injuries on an elliptical compared to a treadmill.
- Depending on the model, ellipticals provide a full-body workout.
- They improve balance, supporting sustained mobility.
- Elliptical experiences promote muscle growth and maintenance, which is vital for mature people.
What to Look for in an Elliptical for Seniors
What should you consider before purchasing an elliptical? Here’s a list of tips.
- Natural movement is better, so look for a model with this feature.
- Some days you’ll want to go less hard than others, so find something with adjustable resistance.
- Does the model you’re considering have forward and back motions? Ideally, you want one with both.
6 Best Ellipticals for Seniors
We’ve outlined the benefits and features of ellipticals. Now, let’s review six good exercise options for people aged 65 and over.
The Cubii JR2+ Under Desk Elliptical Pedal Exerciser is a great way to stay fit while at work or on the couch. Start burning calories while finishing your reports or binging your favorite shows. The backlit LCD screen displays your progress, calories burned, duration, and distance traveled. Connect it via Bluetooth with Cubii’s mobile app to track progress on your phone.
- Stores easily under a desk
- Eight resistance settings
- Easy to move around
- It only works the lower body
One of the best under-desk ellipticals for seniors is the LifePro Under Desk Elliptical Bike Pedal Exerciser. With eight resistance intensities, you can set workouts to match your energy levels. The LCD screen is easy to read, and it tracks workout data, including time pedaled, distance traveled, calories burned, and more.
Are you a gadget head? Use the Bluetooth feature to track it all with your phone. Moreover, with this LifePro model, you also get a free yoga mat and special castors to anchor your chair while pedaling.
- Comes with several useful and free addons
- Lifetime warranty
- “Walled” foot pedals decrease slippage
- Can be transformed into a full-body workout easily
- Tension settings may be too difficult for people with clinically severe muscular deterioration
The YOSUDA Compact Elliptical Machine is an easy-to-assemble stand-up exercise bonanza. It’s simple to assemble with a detailed manual and easy-to-follow instructional videos.
The YOSUDA is super quiet thanks to the magnetic control, which keeps the noise below 20dB (the equivalent of a whisper from 5 feet away). With 16 levels of resistance, this elliptical offers just the right full-body workout intensity that can help you transform from couch potato to marathon runner. The unit’s tracking system displays calories burned, distance traveled, heart rate, and the amount of time you’ve worked out.
- Full-body workout
- LCD tracking system
- Great for people recovering from knee surgery
- May be too much for people who’ve lost their coordination motor skills
The Stamina InMotion Compact Strider with Cords is a great option if you’re in the market for something portable that works the whole body.
The model features pedals to work the lower body and resistance tubes to engage your arms and chest. As such, it provides a full cardio workout.
The simple adjustable dial lets you control the intensity of your workout, and its screen displays strides, calories burned, and workout duration. Uniquely, this unit can be used sitting or standing, and the included müüv app serves as a virtual trainer who helps keep you motivated.
- Convenient handle makes it easy to move around
- Provides a full-body workout even though it’s a compact unit
- Allows for many types of exercises
- The LCD monitor is on the smallish side, which some people find difficult to read
The Teeter FreeStep Recumbent Cross Trainer and Elliptical is one of the better seated ellipticals for seniors. Its design features a naturally reclined seat position that reduces stress on joints and the back, making it a great exercise choice for those with arthritis, Parkinson’s, or multiple sclerosis.
With 13 levels of magnetic resistance, this elliptical covers all the bases. Modify workouts by engaging just your legs, arms, or both simultaneously, and track your progress on the unit’s easy-to-read LCD screen. Since it’s on wheels, the Teeter FreeStep can easily be stowed away when not in use.
- Easy to assemble
- Doesn’t take up a lot of space
- It takes up more space than other options on the list
The Niceday Elliptical Machine is easy to assemble and uses the latest in exercise technology. Its magnetic resistance system eliminates the noise commonly associated with most ellipticals.
With 32 levels of difficulty (16 flywheel and 16 resistance), you can dial in the workout level that is just right for you.
The heavy-duty frame is made of three-inch steel pipe, which can support up to 400 lbs and will last a lifetime! The digital monitor displays your workout time, speed, distance, pulse, and calories burned. They provide a professional online service team to help answer any questions or issues you may have.
- It comes 90% pre-assembled
- Super quiet magnetic drive system
- Great customer service and part-replacement guarantees
- It does not fold up for easy storage
More Related Articles
To live your best life as a retiree, you must include exercise in your daily routine. The elliptical has many benefits, especially for people in the second half of their lives.
Just 20 minutes a day can add years to your life and support ideal physical and mental health.