If you’re a senior, you need to consider an Amazon Prime membership.
And not just because you’re at the age of wisdom but because it’s a great deal.
Amazon Prime is a leading commerce platform with more than 136 million users worldwide and projected revenue of more than 5.16 billion in 2022 alone.
With the ability to order items with free shipping, stream high-quality content, and store an entire digital library of books, Amazon and Amazon Prime have come a long way.
Today, Amazon Prime is more accessible than ever, so seniors are increasingly interested in using the service.
Before signing up for a new Amazon Prime account, it is worth researching potential savings for seniors.
With an Amazon Prime senior discount, it may be possible to access the platform for a fraction of the price.
- What Is Amazon Prime?
- What Are Some of the Perks of Prime Membership?
- How Much Is Amazon Prime Membership for Seniors?
- Common Questions about Prime Membership for Seniors
- How to Sign Up for Amazon Prime as a Senior
What Is Amazon Prime?
Amazon Prime is one of the world’s largest eCommerce and streaming platforms. According to various stats, more than 50% of all US adults use one form or another of Amazon Prime (for ordering products or streaming television shows and movies).
Amazon originally launched as an online bookstore to help users find books from all around the world. It has since expanded into a mega-corporation that delivers almost anything to your door.
Some items can be delivered to your doorstep within 30 minutes to just under a day.
Amazon Prime members who pay a monthly or annual fee gain access to free shipping on all orders placed via Amazon in addition to access to Amazon services, such as Amazon streaming and entertainment platforms.
What Are Some of the Perks of Prime Membership?
Before getting started with a brand-new Amazon Prime membership, familiarize yourself with what an Amazon Prime membership entails and what benefits you will reap as a member.
Some of the most notable perks of a Prime Membership for all users include:
- Free shipping: Amazon Prime members receive free shipping on all orders. Some Amazon orders also include free overnight shipping, depending on your location. There is no minimum order fee to receive free shipping for Amazon Prime members.
- Flat-rate grocery delivery: Another perk of Amazon comes from its partnership with Whole Foods, allowing members to order groceries delivered to their doorstep. This service typically includes free shipping for an additional monthly fee.
- Cashback rewards: If you are an Amazon Prime member and use an Amazon Prime card, you will also receive 5% cash back rewards each time you make a purchase via Amazon.
- Unlimited streaming: In addition to traditional shopping benefits, Amazon Prime members also gain access to all of Amazon’s streaming platforms. Amazon Prime provides thousands of television shows, movies, and unlimited access to the Amazon Prime Music platform.
- Photo storage: With Amazon Prime, members receive unlimited photo and media storage on the cloud, up to 5GB in total.
- Access to magazines and free eBooks: Amazon Prime members receive exclusive offers to free eBooks and magazines that can be digitally accessed and/or “borrowed.” Amazon Prime Reading, included with an Amazon Prime membership, allows members to rent up to 10 library titles at a time.
How Much Is Amazon Prime Membership for Seniors?
If you are considering signing up for an Amazon Prime membership as a senior, you may wonder, “Is there a senior discount for Amazon Prime?”
There currently isn’t a specific seniors-only discount from Amazon. However, qualifying seniors can gain access to an Amazon Prime membership at a discounted rate.
If you are a senior in the United States and enrolled in a government-assistance plan, such as Medicaid, EBT, TANF, SSI, or Snap, you may qualify for a reduced-rate Amazon Prime membership.
Seniors interested in qualifying for the discounted Amazon Prime membership must show proof of eligibility before the discounted rate is applied to an account.
If a senior qualifies for a discounted rate from Amazon Prime due to using a government assistance program (such as SNAP, TANF, EBT, SSI, or Medicaid), they are required to pay just $6.99 per month. The regular price is $14.99 for everyday consumers.
If you are a senior citizen over 60 (but are not currently on a qualifying government assistance program), you will be required to pay $14.99 monthly to gain access to an Amazon Prime membership.
More Related Articles
Common Questions about Prime Membership for Seniors
You may have questions for seniors considering an Amazon Prime membership. Before registering with Amazon Prime, learning about your options can ensure you have the best deal possible before getting started.
Do AARP Members Get a Discount on Amazon Prime?
Members of AARP do not receive a discount from Amazon Prime solely for being a member. However, members of AARP who are currently receiving Medicaid do qualify for the $6.99 monthly discount from Amazon Prime.
Qualifying members must be able to show proof of their current Medicaid status in order to begin receiving the discount for their Amazon Prime membership.
Does Amazon Prime Offer a Free Trial for Seniors?
Amazon does not currently offer a free trial for Amazon Prime seniors exclusively. However, a free trial option is available for all new users, which provides a month of Amazon Prime for $0.
How much is Amazon Prime for Seniors on Medicare?
The original cost of Amazon Prime for everyday members is currently $14.99 per month or $139 annually.
However, qualifying seniors on Medicare can receive an Amazon Prime membership for as little as $6.99 per month. This membership price includes the same perks as the original Amazon Prime membership, including streaming services, entertainment, and cloud storage.
How to Sign Up for Amazon Prime as a Senior
Once you decide to register for an Amazon Prime membership as a senior and you want to receive a discount, there are a few steps to keep in mind.
It is also important to note that any senior interested in receiving the Amazon Prime discount must show proof of the government assistance program they are currently on (such as SNAP, TANF, Medicaid, or EBT).
1. Visit the Discounted Amazon Prime for Qualifying Members page to begin the enrollment process.
2. Select “Join Now”
3. Enter your EBT card number, your Medicaid number, or the number of another qualifying government assistance program listed (within the ‘Other’ tab of the registration page).
4. Upload an image of your EBT, Medicaid, or government program card.
5. Verify that your current government-issued card is valid.
6. Submit your application for review.
Other programs currently qualified for the Amazon Prime discount include:
- DE (Direct Express)
- EIP Card (Economic Impact Payment card – Limited Time*
- LIHEAP (Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program)
- NSLP (National School Lunch Program)
- SSI (Supplemental Security Income)
- TANF (Temporary Assistance for Needy Families)
- TTANF (Tribal Temporary Assistance for Needy Families)
- WIC (Women, Infants, Children)
If you are thinking of using Amazon Prime, researching discounts and membership options can ensure you choose the solution that is just right for your needs.
Knowing all your options when searching for an Amazon Prime senior discount can help streamline the registration and setup process.